Local Authority Network
Becoming a City of Sanctuary is now a core part of some local authorities’ corporate strategy. This means putting in place the resources, networks and structures to make this a reality.
We can support you every step of the way.
What the Local Authority Network is hoping to achieve:
- To support the development of a non-partisan network of local authorities that are working towards the City of Sanctuary vision.
- To promote the embedding of a culture and practice of welcome in Local Authorities to support the City of Sanctuary theory of change.
How we’re going to get there:
- Recognise and celebrate the local authorities which are meeting certain standards through our awards process. Through being recognised as a County, Borough, Town etc of Sanctuary,
we offer a benchmark and inspiration for other local authorities.
- Facilitate engagement and awareness with other local authorities to increase the number of network members.
- Represent the network in national and international debate with a clear and unified voice.
- Support local City of Sanctuary groups and members, in particularly people seeking sanctuary, to enable them to engage with their local authority.
- Enable and empower people seeking sanctuary to lead at all levels of the network.
- To act as a conduit between other relevant UK and international local government networks and initiatives and the City of Sanctuary Local Authority network.
- Work together with the rest of the Local Authority Network to respond to national policy issues with the aim of influencing Government and encouraging and enabling social change.
- Support the City of Sanctuary UK staff team to develop of the City of Sanctuary Local Authority network, website and resources to enable the sharing of good practice
Any local authority can apply to become a member of the network, there are two types of membership:
- Awarded member – Local Authority has gone through the award appraisal process and gained recognition (*please note that local authorities who were awarded as part of a city-wide recognition process or a self-recognition process will be classed as awarded members but will be expected to submit an application form within six months of the membership application).
- Non-awarded member – Local Authority has signed up to vision and values of City of Sanctuary and has committed to working towards the award
The Steering Group:
The role of the Steering Group is to support the lead member(s) of City of Sanctuary staff and the network in an advisory capacity. The group assists with the strategic and operational development of the network by providing professional expertise or expertise through experience in the following areas:
- Provide ideas about how the network can grow sustainably
- Review and support the development of resources
- Review and affirm the awards process and set minimum criteria
- Support the appraisal process at a national level when required
- Support national conferences and network meetings to take forward the network
- Support the development of funding applications
- Assist in monitoring and evaluation of the network
- To link with other City of Sanctuary Steering groups e.g. Schools, Universities etc
- Assist in the media and communications strategy to promote the network
If you are interested in joining the steering group please see the terms of reference and contact [email protected].